Wet Sounds – Joel Cahen (Israel / England)
underwater deep listening sensations
Friday 28 January 2011, 8.00pm
Bangor Swimming Pool
Soundlands launches on Friday 28 January with WetSounds – an underwater alternative music performance at Bangor Swimming Pool! Float, swim and dive in water filled with sound from special underwater speakers.
- Live music performed by seminal surrealist group Nurse with Wound
- live music by Andrew Lewis & Joel Cahen
- underwater live-art scuba performance by performance by Megan Broadmeadow with Helen Howard Jones
- new water choreography by Lisa Spaull presented by Dawns i Bawb
- live music and film by Graham Bowers
Wet Sounds creates seperate sound spaces in Bangor Swimming Pool, one under the water, one above – choose your own mix as you float on the surface, dive below or lounge in the cafe. This unique event marks the start of Bangor Sound City’s exciting programme of public sound art.
Cafe serving drinks, snacks and meals.
- Bring your swim wear (informal e.g. wear extra t-shirt as you wish) and a warm towel or bath robe for pool-side lounging.
- STOP PRESS – swimmers and non-swimmers of all abilities welcome.
- Strictly no under 16s. Sorry!
« astonishingly immediate, inescapable » – The Guardian
« like being in the womb » – Mizled Youth
« exhibitions don’t get much more successful » – The Wire
Free Public Swim
27th Jan 11, 7pm
sounds to accompany public swimming featuring Joel Cahen and Chaparral Andrew Hodges
The Wet Sounds 2011 tour is supported by the National Lottery through Arts Council England, PRS for Music Foundation, Newcastle City Council, Tower Hamlets City Council and Oxford City Council, and is organised in collaboration with Bangor Sound City, Glasgow Film Festival, Fierce Festival (Birmingham), Oxford Brooks University and Brighton Science Festival.
Media Partners: The Wire Magazine, The French Institute. WetSounds is curated by Joel Cahen.
Wet Sounds in Bangor partners: Dawns i Bawb, Real Institute, Gwynedd Sub Aqua Club.