Sounds for an Empty House
24 hours, 24 artists, 1 empty house
26 – 27 June 2021
Plas Bodfa, Llangoed, Wales
and experience online
Soundlands and Plas Bodfa Projects presents:
Sounds for an Empty House – an audio exploration of Plas Bodfa
A 100-year-old manor house, currently empty of human residents, but far from silent. Its structure channels gusty winds through drainpipes, creating baritone whispers. Gaps in the roofing slates allow smaller bursts of air to enter and dissipate softly into echoing voids. A fidgety family of jackdaws inhabits one spacious attic, while bats silently occupy another. Water drips through unseen drains. A panel edged with crackled tape exhales. A vent flaps. Something, somewhere shutters.
Sounds from an Empty House
LISTEN – to a 24-hour live-stream from Plas Bodfa
Sounds created by the house itself and its immediate surroundings will be live-mixed, augmented and manipulated by invited, local sound artists and creatives.
- Saturday, 26 June, beginning at sunrise (05:00)
- live for 24 hours until
- Sunday, 27 June, ending at sunrise (05:00)
24 sound artists and creatives participating in the live stream:the livestream has now ended
Sounds for an Empty House
CREATE – sound works for Plas Bodfa.
Recordings of the live-stream, along with sounds from the house in various weather conditions, will be available to creatives world-wide to create a new audio composition.
The submissions from this open call will be released as a joint digital album with with Welsh experimental music label Amgueddfa Llwch.
Chaparral Andrew reveals floor tones through polyrhythmic stepping.
Carphology plays a light mix of pure house to ease the morning in.
Katherine explores the house with her violin, voice and tuning fork.
Ynyr transforms Plas Bodfa into a sonic playground, amplifying the ghosts of the present.
Etchasketch uses bio-sensors to transform inaudible plants into audible music.
Angela uses wide-band electromagnetic receivers and ultra-sonic detectors.
Mark stretches the sounds of house flies.
The crunching noises of Plas Bodfa’s draft excluder feature in this lunchtime slot.
Alan and Zoë give voice to the house.
Post Premonition construct a suspect guide to the house and its history.
Real Institute imposes a rule-bound, multi-player walking game – pedescape.
Rob loops fragments of house noises into a wider harmonious soundscape.
ANOIKIS conjure an art brut happening of sound and movement.
FFWRD conjures a dystopian view of Plas Bodfa’s sonic future.
Super Group carry out house repairs in real space and time.
Three acoustic warriors do battle with empty architecture. We think the house will win.
Tom recognises the paradox of just being in a house that’s empty.
Hopewell Ink use noise and the spoken-word to summon up Plas Bodfa’s ghosts.
Lisa mics up wall crevices and dusty chandeliers to create her audio message for the internet.
As midnight strikes, Amy sprints through the house, vibrating objects, writing, writing and writing.
Charles plays with the house’s integral acoustic architecture.
Ed makes a late night meditation on mortar, dust under the nails, lives, and time.
Milo rigs the house with sequenced solenoids beating out rhythms on walls, radiators, floors and windows.
Graham uses a parabolic microphone to bring the outside inside as dawn draws our twenty-four hours to a close.
The Lineup – Sunrise to Sunrise
Saturday 26 June
- 05:00 – 06:00 – Chaparral Andy Hodges
- 06:00 – 07:00 – Carphology Collective
- 07:00 – 08:00 – Katherine Betteridge
- 08:00 – 09:00 – Ynyr Pritchard
- 09:00 – 10:00 – etchasketch
- 10:00 – 11:00 – Angela Davies
- 11:00 – 12:00 – Mark Albrow
- 12:00 – 13:00 – Bev Craddock
- 13:00 – 14:00 – Zöe Skoulding & Alan Holmes
- 14:00 – 15:00 –
- 15:00 – 16:00 – Real Institute
- 16:00 – 17:00 – Rob Spaull
- 17:00 – 18:00 – ANOIKIS (Melissa Pasut & Andrew Leslie Hooker)
- 18:00 – 19:00 – Glyn Roberts – FFRWD
- 19:00 – 20:00 – Super Group
- 20:00 – 21:00 – ACCRETION ENTROPY
- 21:00 – 22:00 – tom.m
- 22:00 – 23:00 – Hopewell Ink
- 23:00 – 24:00 – Lisa Heledd Jones
Sunday 27 June
- 00:00 – 01:00 – Amy Sterly
- 01:00 – 02:00 – Charles Gershom
- 02:00 – 03:00 – Ed Wright
- 03:00 – 04:00 – j Milo Taylor
- 04:00 – 05:00 – Graham Hembrough