Teffradot – Rebecca Horrox (Wales / England)
2015-17 | Free
Cwm Idwal, Snowdonia
Teffradot is a new opera telling a timeless myth set in Snowdonia. The opera is set in motion as you walk through the beautiful glacial valley of Cwm Idwal, at any time of your choosing, using just your smartphone or mp3 player and closed cup headphones.
Eight characters emerge from the landscape singing stories of other-worldly shape-shifters and immortals – the eternal and ephemeral beings of the Cwm. Carnivorous flowers channel the prophecy from the moraines. A golden eyed raven lingers on the lake shore. The mountain cuts its iconic ridge against the Welsh sky as, below, a young girl strokes a pine martin. She is the Teffradot – awaiting her next victim. Prince Idwal must search out this queen of deception.
Ancient and contemporary instruments are joined by eight voices as Horrox dramatically transforms traditional Welsh melodies, echoing the weather-scarred and shattered rock face of the mountain.
What to Expect
- Teffradot Opera Walk takes you on a circular walk route around Lake Idwal.
- You listen to a pre-recorded MP3 sound file played on a smartphone or similar device though closed cup headphones.
- Follow the Guide as you listen to the opera and experience the landscape at specific locations on the walk.
Important: Before you set out
Download and read the the Teffradot Guide for important information on how to prepare for and experience the Teffradot Opera Walk:Teffradot Guide: PDF (Free)
The walk starts and finishes at Ogwen Visitor Centre, Snowdonia National Park. Please arrive suitably clothed, with your prepared smartphone, a pair of closed-cup headphones and the Teffradot Guide.
Interzone Theatre App
Download the Internzone Theatre App (see Teffradot Guide for more details):iTunes Apple iPhones (Free) Google Store Google apps (Free)
Rebecca Horrox is a UK based visual artist, composer, and performer, realising her compositions through visual performance, music and sound.
She tours extensively as a member of Wet Sounds, with international presentations including the Barbican Centre, Tate Britain and Mackay Festival of the Arts.
Rebecca Horrox was chosen from over one hundred international artists who submitted proposals to Soundlands sound art commissions for Bangor and Cwm Idwal.
Selectors: Ceri Hand, Annea Lockwood, Janek Schaefer, J Milo Taylor, Yann Seznec, Guto Roberts.
You can also experience Songsmith – Jenna Burchell’s commission for Bangor.
- Libretto, direction and sound by Rebecca Horrox
- Artwork by Conny Prantera and La Horrox
- Angharad Davies – Ceffyl Dŵr
- Ceri Rhys Matthews – Silver Dragon
- The Voice (Welsh)
- Ebe Oke – The Voice (English)
- Julie Murphy – Sundew and Butterwort
- Meilir Jones – Rock
- Sianed Jones – Teffradot
- Steffan Rhys Hughes – Prince
- Tor Marrock – Pen Bele, God of Death
- Alon Malka – Harmonium and piano
- Ceri Rhys Matthews – Flute, pibgorn, Welsh bagpipes, sruti and acoustic guitar
- Gwen Màiri – Harp
- Michael York – Border pipes, smallpipes and duduk
- Rhidian Griffiths
- Nin & Simeon
- Richmond Film Service
- Fossil Studios London
- Mwnci Studios West Wales
- John Mason
- Naomi Jones, Snowdonia National Park
- Guto Roberts
- Sain Records